Sunday, December 23, 2012

Having fun, a great habit

What is the single most important habit you intend to cultivate in 2013?

The sun broke through a little after eleven this morning, and it felt mild for this time of year. As I looked over some gifts that Santa has already left under the tree, I noticed that he needed some help, immediately. So, to assure plenitude on Christmas Day, I wanted to finish up the Christmas shopping. I decided that the downtown of one of the nearby villages would suffice. I was looking to be outdoors in the warm sun.

For some reason, it became a magical couple of hours of fun. I was in no hurry. There were a good number of shoppers on the street and in the stores. But no long lines.

In one store, I picked up three items  (still a secret), and the young women at the register asked if I wanted a ribbon on the tiny box. I nodded yes, and the ribbon was carefully wrapped around and a bow was tied. It looked great. She then asked if I wanted boxes for the other two items which were the same except for pattern. I figured why not. The items were wrapped in tissue, lightly placed in the boxes, and I was again given the choice of ribbon or not.  "Of course!", I said. "Now," she said, "which color ribbon on which box?" I appeared uncertain as to what difference it would make, and she said "In case you wanted to give a special pattern to one or the other person." And so, the boxes were opened, and I told her which one to put the green and whites ribbons on. She went around the first box with green curling ribbon, and then carefully cut a few more snippets of green and some of white, tied them on and curled them with the scissors. (Surely I probably would have done this if I was home.) And then she brought out a roll of bright purple ribbon, and went around the box, again took snippets of the green and white, tied them and curled them.

As I watched, I suddenly felt transported back in time to when I was about five years old. My two favorite aunts, Fran and Cap, made a big deal about wrapping presents. They did it with great care and love, for family and boy friends, and me. Every gift had a personal touch. It was magic, beautiful and wonderful. They were about the same age as the woman wrapping the gifts. I could see myself peering over the top of the table many years ago filled with curiosity, wonder, and anticipation. And the fun of it all!

I gave her a wistful thank you, and moved out to the street, and continued my last minute shopping, glad for the leisure of the downtown, the cheer of other shoppers who were having a good time, like in the olden days.

And the habit that I hope to take with me into every future year, to quote my wife, "Have fun!"

No comments:

Post a Comment