Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Dream Destination

What was your dream destination in 2012 and why? 

It can be a town, city, country or region -- real or imaginary -- and doesn't matter if you actually got there or not!

To dream of anything during 2012 was difficult for me. I was not sure if it was okay... but I did. And my dream came true in mid-autumn, as I ascended the trail to Harvey Mountain. This place is only a few miles from my house, and it is a questionable mountain, more like a 2000 foot hill, with gentle rises, and steep only the last 100 feet or so. You can walk over the NY border into Massachusetts in the woods, enjoy a view that sweeps from Catamount in the south to the Albany Empire State Plaza towards the norhtwest. And there are seemingliy endless fields of bluberry bushes.

So these are the sights, but the real reason it had been a dream until that warm November day was that I could not find time to enjoy it. My wife could not make the trip, and in October, she was free, and we climbed the mountain together. She was and forever will be the warm sun, the brisk breeze, the light that guides me to accomplish whatever I put my mind to.

It is odd how dreams are fulfilled. I would rather have had it differently, but dreams are usually out of our control. Ten or so years ago, we were on the mountain. There was beauty all around. But then the wind picked up, and we were in the middle of a snow storm. We rushed down the mountain. And life had been that way for most of the past ten years. It was good to return in the calm of autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment